Translate

Sunday, July 06, 2008


Number 337


Murder At The Terminal



Joe Kubert was 18 years old in 1944 when he drew this story for All-New Comics #10.

What were you doing when you were 18? What was I doing? It was a long time ago but my memory is of chasing girls, not sitting at a drawing board. Joe was mentored by artists like Mort Meskin, who taught him a lot about the language of comics. Since his teen years, during a long, long career, Kubert has spoken that language very well.








4 comments:

Kirk Nachman said...

Hey Pap, great one! I really dig early Kubert, before his distinctive style emerged. Stuff he did for Kurtzman on the war books at EC pretty nifty too. Great layout on this story, and I love this lost inking style!!

bzak said...

Howdy,

Love Joe Kubert!! The man can do anything, super-hero, war, jungle adventure, anything! Todays so called comic artists could take a few lessons from him, and many of them have. Alot of todays hot shots are all surface flash with no grounding in story telling. Let's see some more in the future.

Thanks,

Brian James Riedel

Mr. Karswell said...

God, 18 years old, that's remarkable. I think at 18 I was still playing air guitar in front of a mirror to Alice Cooper records. Wait, I still do that...

Ger Apeldoorn said...

And he's still going strong! I regulary check out is PS work on their site, where you can download every issue of their preventative maintanence magazine, which he has been doing for a couple of years now. Of course, he let's some of the work to his students, but it seems to me, his hand is still in there. and to add a heracy to that... I think he does it even better than Will Eisner, who started the magazine years ago.