Translate

Monday, August 18, 2008



Number 363


Airboy and the battle of the magicians


A really fine Airboy story, from Airboy Vol. 5 #5, June 1948, drawn by Fred Kida.

This is yet another from the Pappy tearsheet box. For those new to Pappy's, about 30 years ago I was given a box with hundreds of pages cut from comic books of the 1940s.

The owner was a man who wanted to pursue a career in comics. As far as I can tell he never worked in comics, but he knew and liked various artists, bought the comics, and cut out their work. I took the hundreds of pages and assembled them into stories.

In the meantime, though, you can check out the only other complete Kida Airboy story I have to offer here.















5 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Outstanding Kida story here, Pappy, but I wouldn't mind seeing you cobble together a few of those Kida/Airboy tales to post, even with the missing pages.

Good is "good" , after all!

john_m_burt said...

An interesting and unusual Airboy story, in which Airboy's status as a celebrity is more important than his being an aviator.

Anyone who is interested in more Airboy material could do worse than to check out my own group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airboy

Marc Burkhardt said...

Airboy rules! I'm still looking for a fairly clean copy - original or reprint - of the classic tale where Airboy battles the rats!

Vince M said...

Fred Kida showed a flair for economy and clear storytelling that's very similar to what Alex Toth aimed for. Did Alex appreciate this comic art genius?

This man was amazing!

Pappy said...

Chuck, I agree in principle that good is "good", but readers would holler if I left off the last couple of pages of a story. The middle pages, eh, not as big a deal, but I'd still hear about it.

Maybe someday I'll just show examples from those incomplete stories; I dunno. We fly by the seats of our pants here at Pappy's!

Vince, yeah, what you said! I could never have said it better.