Translate

Friday, December 25, 2009


Number 655


Rudolph in Gorgonzola


What?! It's Christmas again, already? Didn't we just have Christmas a mere 365 days ago?

To commemorate the day I need to go back to my childhood and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, 1953 edition. No, not my first childhood, but a subsequent childhood (I've lost track of how many childhoods I've had). I bought this comic at a San Diego Con in the 1980s. They aren't that uncommon because they sold very well for DC Comics during the 1950s. The annual series ground to a halt in the early '60s after 12 issues. It was revived for a time when Rudolph reappeared in a couple of DC's tabloid-sized comic books of the early '70s, and also in DC's tiny eyestrain digests.

Rube Grossman is credited with the artwork. Grossman, who had an animation background, went back into animation after his stint at DC Comics. He died in 1964.

To all you Pappy's readers, Merry Christmas!

































2 comments:

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Love the line weight of the art in this strip, and the grainy quality of the washed-out pastel colors. Also, I have a thing for blimps, balloons, and tornadoes~! So~ once again~ you've hit one out of the park for me, Pap~ like Babe Ruth did for sick kids~!

Prof. Grewbeard said...

thanx for the Xmas comix and love the new header. does that show how long it's been since i dropped by?...

Merry Christmas!