Translate

Monday, March 07, 2011


Number 908


Pretty girl Pike


Jay Scott Pike specialized in pretty girls. I've seen a lot of his work in Atlas Comics, mostly love comics. After he left comics he went into pin-up illustration. You look at Jann, in this story from Jann Of The Jungle #8, 1955, or Marcia, from Girl Confessions #20, 1952, and going into pin-ups in his post-comics career seemed a natural for Pike.

I had a posting about Pike, with an example of his pin-up art, in Pappy's #334. There's another Jann story by Pike in Pappy's #639.












6 comments:

Diegogue said...

Jay Scott Pike is a terrific artist!I just knew his super heroine Dolphin, but not this early work

thank you for sharing with us this material

Chuck Wells said...

I totally agree with your assessment of this guys lovely artwork.

borky said...

I just took a look at your earlier postings and the guy's definitely got an eye for a pretty girl - and like Gil Kane he seems to enjoy drawing brunettes most.

Jann's huge hoop earrings definitely enhance her prettiness but I'm not sure they're the sort of thing you'd wan'o be wearing while swinging around in the jungle.

Mind you, the way comics're going these days, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tarzan in a pair of 'em, next!

Pappy said...

Borky, I see Tarzan with a pair of diamond studs...Jewels of Opar, y'know.

Mr. Karswell said...

gorgeous stories!!!

Lacey said...

I wonder if any fiends really introduced themselves as "Enemy of Democracies"?

Did it say that on their business cards?

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Fritz Von Hallbang, enemy of Democracies."

keep up the good work.